All You Need To Know About Laser Treatment
If you’re one of the few who thinks that facial treatments aren’t necessary, there will come a day when you need one. It can be as you grow older, with the added stress from work, family, friends, and lack of sleep, that you start noticing your skin’s condition begin to worsen.
After all that you’ve done to get back your once-clear skin like deep cleansing and daily moisturising, you’ve yet to see the result of your effort. You then turn to the professionals for help and try all the facial treatment that they offer except the laser facial. But, it’s all in vain as the problem lies deep in your skin.
You see, laser treatment works to improve your skin condition by encouraging the growth of new skin cells to replace the damaged ones. Ahead, we’re sharing everything you need to know about laser facials.
What is laser treatment?
Laser treatment is a facial rejuvenation procedure which uses a laser to improve your skin’s appearance while providing a safe and effective means of stimulating the collagen production in your skin.
Types of laser treatment
There are generally two types of laser treatment – ablative and non-ablative.
1. Ablative laser treatment
The laser delivers an intense wavelength of light to your skin, which removes the outer layer (epidermis) and heats your underlying skin (dermis). This will then stimulate the production of collagen in your skin. Due to the laser’s intensity, it may take a while for you to recover but your skin will appear smoother and tighter.
Ablative laser treatments include carbon dioxide (CO2) and erbium. The CO2 laser is used to diminish scars, warts, and deep wrinkles while the erbium laser is used to treat finer lines and wrinkles.
2. Non-ablative laser treatment
This non-wounding laser treatment is gentler compared to the ablative laser treatment. Instead of removing the outer layer of your skin, it works to heat your underlying skin (dermis) to boost collagen production and promote new skin cell growth.
Non-ablative laser treatments include pulsed-light and fractional lasers. It can be used to treat acne-related skin concerns. This less invasive procedure requires a minimal downtime compared to the ablative laser treatment.
Is laser treatment safe on the skin?
Like any other facial treatments, laser treatments are safe on the skin when it’s administered by certified medical practitioners. If you have any skin concerns related to age, sun, or acne, you may consider going for a laser treatment.
Here are the side effects associated with laser facial.
Side effects of laser treatment
● Redness, swelling and itchiness – Laser facials may cause your treated skin to be red, swollen and itchy. This condition may last for several months but you can reduce the risk of complication by following the recommended post-care instructions.
● Infection – The heat from the laser can cause infection, especially the flaring up of the herpes virus, which causes cold sores. The virus is already present in your skin but remains dormant.
● Changes in skin colour – Any laser treatment can cause the treated area on your skin to become darker or lighter after the procedure. The changes are more common for people with dark skin.
● Scarring – As laser facial work to heat your dermis and boost collagen production, there’s a slight risk of permanent scarring depending on the intensity of your laser treatment.
Who isn’t suitable to go for laser treatments?
Laser facials are safe when it’s administered by medically-certified skin specialists. However, it’s not for everyone. It’s best to consult a doctor if you’re among any of the following:
● Pregnant or breastfeeding their child;
● Have taken acne medication in the previous year;
● Prone to scarring after a minor injury;
● Have an autoimmune disease or weak immune system;
● Prone to cold sores or other skin disorders;
● Have undergone radiation therapy to the face;
● Have a darker skin tone;
● Are a smoker.
Now that we’ve explained about the types of laser treatments in Malaysia, its side effects and suitability, it’s time to understand the benefits of laser facials.
Benefits of laser treatment
Malaysians choose to get laser facials for several reasons with the main one being smoother, softer, and tighter skin after the treatment.
The heat from the laser works to stimulate collagen production and promote the growth of new skin cells. By doing so, it reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your skin to give you a younger and fresher look.
Laser facials also work to improve uneven skin tone and reduce age spots caused by the sun. Thus, giving your skin a more even skin tone. Additionally, laser treatments encourage the production of collagen in your skin, which maintains the firmness of your skin. It also works to treat acne scars and reduce enlarged pores.
When it comes to getting your skin professionally-treated, it’s best to look for skin specialists who can examine your skin and determine the right treatment for your skin. That way, you can have an idea of your skin condition and enjoy quality laser facials.
At LiV Clinic, our dermatologists will take the time to listen to your skin problems and analyse the suitability of our skin and laser treatments before recommending them to you.